Locate Air Leaks and Save: Here’s How
Even though winter time around San Antonio can be categorized as fairly mild, it still does not negate the fact that you still lose money on energy costs from undetected air leaks in your home. Air is always finding the smallest of cracks and crevices in which to escape. You may even think that the insulation in your attic is sufficient, but it is not always so.
Undetected air leaks in your home are a major source of energy loss and can lead to unhealthy indoor air quality and poor humidity control. However, there are ways to avoid this unwanted energy loss, which includes an inspection of the areas you are familiar with, and scheduling a home energy audit with a qualified HVAC specialist.
The U.S. Department of Energy recommends an inspection of the following areas to find and seal air leaks:
- Seal your electrical outlets, switch plates (including cable and phone line plates) with readily available and precut foam insulation pads
- Seal window frames with paint-able caulking sealants around the sill and edges.
- Apply weatherstripping around door frames to seal air leaks.
- Seal behind the baseboards at the bottom of the sheetrock with caulking sealant.
- Other areas of consideration are vents, fans, fireplace dampers, attic access points, wall/window mounted air conditioners and electrical or gas service entrances.
Examine all areas of the outer envelope of your home such as where siding meets at the corners or where any piping or objects pass through the outer walls. Be sure to not overlook areas where siding and brick meet the foundation.
However, if you want to be sure where every possible leak can be sealed to reduce energy loss or the task just seems too overwhelming for you, consider scheduling an appointment with an HVAC contractor to have a full energy audit of your home.
For more information on energy audits and sealing air leaks in your home, contact us at Beyer Boys. Our family owned and operated company has been providing quality HVAC services to San Antonio residents for over 25 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “dny3d/Shutterstock”