How Can Texans Protect Their Families From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

How Can Texans Protect Their Families From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can build up in your home without any obvious signs. This gas builds up in enclosed spaces and can be caused by a number of things including your heating system or your gas furnace. Sudden weakness, dizziness, nausea, and chest pain are all common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. While it isn’t easy to detect when the gas is being leaked into your home, there are some things you can do to prevent it from happening in the first place:

Keep Motors Outside

Don’t ever use portable generators, other gas equipment, or charcoal grills inside your home or garage. These things can quickly produce carbon monoxide that gets stuck indoors and which may result in serious illness.

Careful With Fire

Make sure that your fireplace damper is always open while a fire is lit, and it should remain open until the ashes are completely cool. Your open damper will ensure that the fumes from the fire don’t build up and create too much carbon monoxide indoors.

Get a Monitor

Install battery operated carbon monoxide alarms in the common areas and bedrooms of your home so are alerted as soon as a build up is detected and can quickly exit the premises.

Get Inspected

Have your home’s heating system inspected as well as serviced at least once a year to make sure no leaks are present and to fix any small problems that might be present, like cracks or loose fittings, before they become too serious.

If you need to schedule an appointment for an inspection or you have more questions about protecting your family from carbon monoxide poisoning, contact us at Beyer Boys San Antonio. We have proudly been serving people in the San Antonio area since 1990.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).

Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Creations/Shutterstock”