Drawing Up A Strategic Energy-Savings Plan
As energy costs continue to rise unpredictably, you may be searching for a way to cut you energy expenses while maintaining an acceptable level of comfort in your home. An energy-savings plan can help you find out where in your house you use the most energy. The plan gives you a clear idea where you can cut energy costs. It will be the “blueprint” for changes you can make to decrease energy usage and save money.
- Check insulation levels in the attic, basement, walls, ceilings, crawl spaces, and heating and cooling system. Plenty of insulation cuts down on energy bills and keeps indoor temperatures comfortable.
- Check for open spaces, gaps, holes or cracks in the walls, ceilings, doors, windows, switch boxes, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures and electrical outlets. Pay particular attention to holes in the wall where wires, pipes, ducts or other utilities come into your house.
- Make sure fireplace dampers are closed.
- Perform regular maintenance on your appliances and your heating and cooling system. Regular maintenance, including filter changes, helps systems run better and cuts down on wasted energy.
- Determine where your need for lighting is the greatest. Install controllers such as dimmers and timers, and replace regular bulbs with energy-saving models.
Prepare the plan by writing out answers to questions such as:
- How much do I spend on energy?
- Where are the areas of greatest energy loss in my house?
- If I invest in energy-efficient appliances or other measures, how long will it take for me to see energy savings from that investment?
- Will energy-saving measures provide other benefits, such as increased comfort or better indoor air quality?
- Can I make the changes myself or will the work require a professional contractor?
- What is my budget for making these energy-saving changes?
Beyer Boys has more than 20 years of experience serving commercial and residential HVAC and plumbing customers in the San Antonio and South Texas Area. Our NATE-certified technicians can help you set up an energy-savings plan that suits your budget and lifestyle. Contact us today for a consultation or to schedule a service call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).