Welcome Spring with These Home Energy-Saving Tips
Spring is the time of year for inspiration, rejuvenation and gearing up for summer fun—and the summer heat! With practical home energy-saving tips, however, you won’t have to sweat high cooling bills, nor earmark substantial investment dollars to save energy.
San Antonio Home Energy-Saving Tips
- A/C tune-up: Dirty and worn A/C components tax cooling efficiency and your pocketbook. The coils and blower assemblies need to be deep cleaned, drainage cleared and treated for microorganisms, ducts inspected and more. Even a dirty filter increases energy consumption and degrades cooling comfort. Schedule professional preventive maintenance this spring for comfortable cooling all summer.
- Home automation devices: Home lighting offers great potential for energy savings. Simple lighting devices, such as motion detectors, timers and dimmer switches, can save big bucks, considering lighting accounts for about 10 percent of the energy budget. Complete your lighting upgrades with compact fluorescent (CFL) and light-emitting diode (LED) in place of conventional incandescent, and save up to 80 percent lighting costs.
- Water heating: Depending on household size and usage, water heating accounts for 15 to 25 percent of the energy budget. Fortunately, substantial savings are possible by turning back the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees, insulating hot water pipes and installing aerators and low-flow fixtures. Schedule preventive maintenance for a water heater flush and component check.
- Window treatments: Window treatments may be something as simple as drapes to block out the hot afternoon sun, or decorative awnings to shade windows during the day. Storm panels and shutters work well, and also prevent heat loss. Seal your windows with caulk and weatherstripping for added savings.
- HVAC upgrades: New A/Cs and heat pumps deliver substantially higher cooling efficiency than units manufactured just 10 years ago. Ask your HVAC technician for a lifetime cost analysis and return on investment to see how much energy you’ll save, and the approximate time it takes for a higher-efficiency to pay for itself with energy savings.
Contact Beyer Boys for more home energy-saving tips for your San Antonio home, and welcome spring with lower energy bills and enhanced comfort.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Valentyn Volkov/Shutterstock”