When you choose a programmable thermostat for your heating and cooling system, you give yourself more control options than you can get with a traditional mercury switch model. Programmable thermostats let you choose all aspects of HVAC unit function, from the temperature settings to when and how long the unit runs. You can also see substantial savings on your utility bills when you use a programmable thermostat—up to 33 percent savings on heating expenses and about 25 percent on cooling.
Programmable thermostats offer many conveniences based on modern electronics and communication technology:
- If you have more than one in your home, they can communicate with each other to better control indoor temperatures, reducing wasteful on-and-off cycles.
- Many models can be programmed by via phone the Internet. T
- hey can alert you by e-mail if there is an urgent situation requiring your attention.
- They can also keep in touch with your local utility company to monitor pricing of gas or electricity.
- In some instances, programmable thermostats can take best advantage of variable utility pricing by operating equipment at its highest level during off-peak hours or by turning off unnecessary equipment when utility rates are highest.
Possibly the most-used feature of programmable thermostats is their temperature “set-backs,” pre-programmed temperature levels that reduce the operation of your heating or cooling system when you don’t need it, such as when you’re at work or comfortably bedded down for the night. The unit then increases heating or cooling to make your living spaces comfortable in the morning or when you get home from work.
You can also choose a programmable thermostat with a range of convenient features, including touch screen controls, backlit displays, remote-control programming, and keyboard locks. Many models also provide battery back-ups, which maintain the unit’s settings even if the power goes out in your home.
Beyer Boys has more than 20 years of experience serving commercial and residential HVAC and plumbing customers in the San Antonio and South Texas Area. Contact us today for more information on programmable thermostats and for expert help in selecting a model that will reliably keep your home comfortable throughout the season.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).