Use Houseplants to Help Clean the Air in Your Home
Green plants can be a valuable element in your home because houseplants help clean the air. Indoor air can contain a variety of pollutants including those from external sources like radon or ozone, and others from internal sources like volatile organic chemicals or VOCs from furniture, building materials and cleaners. Formaldehyde is one of the most common indoor air pollutants.
Scientific studies show houseplants are efficient at removing common indoor pollutants from air. Houseplants process carbon dioxide from the air by photosynthesis and exhale oxygen as a result. Houseplants help clean the air by processing other common pollutants found in residential or office indoor air; this cleaning process is called phytoremediation.
Some houseplants that help clean the air for common indoor air pollutants are listed below.
- Formaldehyde: Japanese royal fern, peace lily, Boston fern, English ivy, snake plant, aloe vera, red-edged dracaena, weeping fig, azalea, heart-leaf philodendron.
- Carbon monoxide: spider plant, Janet Craig dracaena, ficus.
- VOCs: golden pothos, devil’s ivy, philodendron, snake plant, chrysanthemum, Gerber daisy, Warneck dracaena, Chinese evergreen.
- Benzene, toluene, xylene: peace lily, chrysanthemum, orchid, dieffenbachia, golden pothos, wax begonia, aloe vera, bamboo palm
- Ozone: snake plant, spider plant, golden pothos
Houseplants require different care and may be better suited for certain rooms in your home. Snake plant, also called the bedroom plant, exhales more oxygen at night and the areca palm, called the living room plant, exhales more oxygen during the day. Spider plants thrive in moist and humid conditions found in bathrooms. Aloe vera, chrysanthemum and Gerber daisy are best suited to sunny kitchen areas. Snake plant, golden pothos, and Chinese evergreen are tolerant of low light conditions. Dracaena and philodendron are suited to larger areas like living rooms.
Contact Beyer Boys for more information about improving the indoor air quality in your home. Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).