Water Leaks Can Cause Major Damage — Tips to Take Care of Them Right Away
Water leaks can cause major damage to home; including, rot, mold, warped furniture and damaged property. According to the EPA, ten percent of homes have leaks. Don’t be part of that ten percent, follow the steps below:
- Don’t clog your indoor and outdoor drains. Hair, toilet paper, food particles, leaves and debris can clog the drains inside and outside the house. Watch what you let go down the drains.
- Check for leaks:
- Pull out furniture and appliance to check for dampness, fungus or mold on the walls, ceiling and floor (for hardwood floors, check for swelling or rot)
- Mold and fungus usually smell; if you smell something, take action.
- Place a drop of food coloring in the toilet tank. If color appears in the toilet bowl 30 minutes later, you have a leak. (Flush immediately after to avoid staining the tank.)
- Inspect the roof for leaks
- Replace hosepipes every other year
- Invest in a flood alarm if you can
- If you find any leaks you can’t fix call a professional plumber immediately. They will fix anything from sink and toilet clogs to garbage disposals, to drain and main line stoppages.
- For emergency solutions:
- Move all furniture and valuables away from the leak (if the roof is leaking, place a bucket under it to catch the water
- Leaking toilets :
- Unclog the toilet by pouring equal measurements of vinegar and baking soda into the toilet bowl. Let it sit for fifteen minutes, then pour a kettle of hot water down the toilet.
- Replace the toilet flapper and/or filling mechanism and seal properly (make sure you have the right models for your toilet).
- Leaking faucets in sinks and tubs:
- Shut off the water valve.
- Replace the rubber washer and/or gasket if they are worn out or old.
- Leaking showerhead
- Apply pipe (Teflon) tape to the point where the showerhead and its pipe meet.
- If you still have leaks, get a plumber here.
- Maintenance is vital: Here, you’ll find several plumbing service plans available. The plans will provide you with two (2) visits per year and a 10% discount on any repairs needed.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “bikeriderlondon/Shutterstock”