Decking out your home with festive decorations helps get all of your family members into the Christmas spirit, but did you know that you could also trigger indoor-air-quality risks that could affect your family’s health? Let’s break down the effects of your decorations on air quality — and what you can do to avoid them.
A live Christmas tree infuses your house with a nostalgic pine scent. Unfortunately, it can carry mold into your home. When the mold starts reproducing, it can push the indoor mold-spore count to unacceptable levels in less than two weeks.
Grass pollen can also stick to the tree’s sap in the spring. When you bring the tree indoors during the holidays, the pollen is released into your home’s air as the sap dries out.
An artificial tree can also raise indoor-air-quality concerns. If you’ve been reusing it for a couple of years, it can become extremely dusty. What’s more, if your home has high humidity levels, it could lead to mold growth on the fake tree.
The perfume scent and smoke that many candles produce increase volatile organic compounds and other airborne contaminants in your home’s air. These can cause health problems in sensitive family members.
The decorations you adorn your Christmas tree with can collect plenty of dust, which worsens asthma and allergy symptoms. They can also harbor bacteria and mold.
What Can You Do?
You can control the IAQ hazards using the steps below:
- Remove as many pollen particles as you can from your tree using a leaf blower before bringing it indoors.
- Keep a live tree in your house for just a few days.
- If you have an artificial tree, wash it properly and let it dry outside on warmer days.
- Use smokeless or flameless candles.
- Wipe off ornaments and decorations before storing them as well as when you want to put them up on your tree.
- Invest in a high-quality room air purifier.
Taking these easy precautions will allow you to have an ornamental and delightful holiday season without sacrificing indoor air quality. If you have any questions about your San Antonio home’s air quality, contact Beyer Boys. We provide the best quality heating, air conditioning, and air purification solutions to our clients.