Technology has created new levels of comfort and convenience in our homes. Unfortunately, these modern technologies contribute significantly to the high electricity bills that many homeowners keep getting. Even worse, is the fact that these culprits, such as HVAC energy usage, also tend to be the most necessary, and are virtually impossible to leave without.
All in all, knowing your home’s major energy users can help you figure out those appliances that can lower your bill significantly if used more efficiently. The devices that are costing you the most to run include:
- Heating and cooling — You use your air conditioning system for an extended period to beat the San Antonio heat, making it account for a significant portion of your energy usage. Cooling and heating account for 47 percent of US homes’ energy consumption.
- Heating water — The water heater is used in several applications, from cleaning dishes to showering to washing clothes. It’s no wonder it accounts for approximately 14 percent of your home’s energy use.
- Refrigerator/Freezer — Your refrigerator is the biggest energy hog in your kitchen. It accounts for about 4 percent of your home energy use.
- Dehumidifier — This is a high-wattage device that can consume even more power than your refrigerator if left to run all the time.
Other significant energy users include the electric oven, dishwasher, computer, and TV, DVD, and cable box.
Energy Saving Tips
Your HVAC system accounts for nearly half of your energy use, making it a great starting point for reducing your electric bill. Follow these tips to make it consume less energy:
- Switch to a programmable thermostat.
- Set the thermostat back by 10 degrees or more for around eight hours every day. This can reduce your energy costs by as much as 10 percent annually.
- Make sure your ductwork is sealed and well insulated.
- Change your filters frequently
- Schedule professional HVAC maintenance every year. This will help ensure that the coolant charge, fluids, and insulation are at the proper levels, helping keep your system functioning efficiently.
- Upgrade to a more efficient HVAC system.
Energy-efficient management of your appliances will help you save money on your electricity bill costs. For more ways to reduce HVAC energy usage, contact us at Beyer Boys. We provide energy-efficient HVAC solutions to homeowners in the San Antonio area.