HVAC System Estimate Questions to Ask
Before you call for an HVAC system estimate, prepare relevant questions to ask ahead of time. HVAC systems are complicated, and these questions cover the most important issues associated with buying new equipment.
- Do you have an HVAC license? Before inviting someone into your home for an estimate, be certain their HVAC license is active and that they have insurance and bonding. If you use someone without a license, the equipment manufacturer may not honor the warranty and you could be responsible for any accidents that happen on your property.
- What does the estimate cost? HVAC contractors seldom charge for estimates. Unless there’s something unique about your home, a contractor shouldn’t expect you to pay for this service.
- How do you determine the right size for the system? The contractor needs to use software called Manual J to determine the right size for your new system. Going by the size of the existing equipment could land you with a system that’s too large or small. In either case, you won’t get the comfort or energy savings a new system offers.
- How about energy efficiency? The contractor will show you systems that have different energy efficiency ratings when giving you an HVAC system estimate.
He or she should demonstrate how much money you will save by installing equipment with higher ratings over time. Basing your decision on the lifetime costs of the system makes financial sense, since more efficient HVAC systems cost less in the long run.
- Do you offer financing? Dealer financing might be a competitive option for financing instead of tying up your cash.
- What are the warranty provisions? The value of a good warranty can’t be underestimated. Ask the representative for the details, and what’s required to keep it active once installed.
- Do you offer 24/7 service? In the slim chance your system breaks down, a company who is always available keeps the wait-time short.
A reputable contractor will make sure your questions are answered when giving you an HVAC system estimate. To learn more, contact Beyer Boys, providing trusted HVAC services for San Antonio homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).