Even though winter is months away, summertime is the best season for heater replacements for both the homeowner and the HVAC contractor. Consumers get better prices and more attention and the contractor will be able to reduce the inventory of furnaces in stock.
Signs You Need a Replacement
- Your HVAC contractor recommends that you replace it based on its condition.
- It’s over 15 years old.
- You have hot and cold spots indoors.
- Repairs are frequent and have totaled more than a third the cost of replacing it.
What to Consider
Before settling on a system and a contractor, make sure you:
- Verify the contractor is licensed and has insurance and bonding.
- The contractor sizes the new equipment for your home carefully. He should conduct a load calculation using Manual J computer software to arrive at the best size. This analysis takes into account your home’s overall energy efficiency, your preferred temperatures and family size along with the layout of the floorplan.
- Have your ductwork inspected. The HVAC contractor should check the condition of the ductwork before finalizing the bid for the furnace. It may need sealing, repairing, or replacing. Tight, insulated ducts save your energy dollars and the best time to make changes or upgrades is during heater replacements.
- You understand all your options. Since HVAC systems have a long lifetime, it’s important that you understand the system’s features and its energy efficiency. There are many more options available that increase the comfort and convenience that HVAC systems offer, like variable-speeds, quiet operation and high efficiency.
Some systems are compatible with smart technology that let you control the system from anywhere and heat just one section of your home at a time. Other options to discuss include a complete HVAC system replacement, especially if your A/C is as old as your current furnace.
Going forward with heater replacements in the summer makes sense because your contractor will have more time and a good equipment selection. For more information, contact Beyer Boys, providing trusted HVAC services for San Antonio homeowners.