With the cold weather arriving, you count on your San Antonio area home keeping you warm and comfortable this winter, but what if it doesn’t? Have you noticed your heating system just isn’t doing the job? A number of different factors could be at fault, and you may be able to address some of them without calling in an HVAC professional.
Following are some of the most common ailments that could be conspiring to keep your home chilly this winter:
1) The thermostat may not be properly calibrated or “leveled.” If your thermostat isn’t correctly measuring the temperature in your home, it will be very difficult to set a desired temperature. Unless you feel confident troubleshooting your thermostat, you’ll probably need to call in an HVAC technician to repair or replace the device.
2) Check your furnace filter. If it’s dirty or clogged, the furnace system won’t be able to properly circulate heated air. In an effort to meet the thermostat setting, the furnace will work harder than necessary, stressing parts and wasting energy. Inspect the filter once a month.
3) Leaky or defective ducts also will reduce the effectiveness of your heating system. If conditioned air is leaking into unconditioned parts of your home (wall voids, the attic, crawlspace, etc.), it’s not getting to the rooms you need to heat. As with the dirty air filter, this also will result in a furnace over-working itself. If you suspect problems with the ductwork, an HVAC technician can inspect the duct system and may recommend repairs, cleaning or replacement.
4) A poorly maintained furnace will not heat as well as one that receives annual professional attention. Contact a trusted local HVAC contractor to arrange for an annual furnace tuneup.
5) An old furnace, one that’s nearing the end of its useful service life, may struggle to heat your home. If your furnace is more than 15 years old and/or has been experiencing more breakdowns, it’s time to consider a replacement.
If your heating system isn’t keeping your San Antonio home warm, and you can’t correct the issue yourself, please contact us at Beyer Boys.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Name”