Congratulations on buying a new home! You should be very proud of this momentous accomplishment. However, you may experience a steep learning curve during the first months or years of homeownership because there’s so much to deal with. Let’s take a close look at what you should know about your new home HVAC system to make indoor comfort one less thing you have to worry about.
First, Get to Know the Basics of the System
To make maintenance much easier, you should find out some crucial details about your home’s HVAC system. These include:
- Type — Homes in San Antonio have different types of HVAC systems. Take the time to know if your new home is equipped with a central A/C, heat pump, or mini-split system.
- Age — Find out how old the system is. Most HVAC systems start experiencing issues after 10 to 15 years.
- Fuel — Does the system use electricity, oil, natural gas, or propane?
- Warranty — Is there an existing warranty on your HVAC system? If so, ensure you fully understand its terms and what you shouldn’t do to avoid voiding it.
- Energy efficiency — Check the efficiency rating on your unit.
Change the Air Filters Often
As you change certain fixtures after taking possession of your new home, consider replacing your HVAC system’s air filter. It’s one of the most effective ways of keeping the system at its peak. Be sure to add frequent air filter changes into your new home maintenance checklist.
Schedule Preventive Maintenance
Your HVAC system will need to be checked by a professional at least once a year to ensure it’s functioning optimally. Make sure you only choose a reputable contractor that has served your area for many years to service your system.
With proper knowledge of your HVAC system, you’ll keep your new home comfortable and energy efficient for decades to come. If you need a reliable HVAC company in the San Antonio area that has been in business for more than two decades, contact Beyer Boys. Our high-quality maintenance services will help ensure that your new home HVAC system has a long, productive life.