If you’re like most homeowners, you probably have plenty of choices in your community when seeking an HVAC technician to work on an issue in your home. San Antonio, for example, has dozens and dozens of HVAC contractors. So how do you know you’re getting reliable, competent and professional service when hiring an HVAC technician? The heating and cooling system that’s keeping you and your family comfortable is too great an investment to risk leaving to an unskilled or unscrupulous technician.
It’s easy enough to detect poor customer service from a technician’s attitude, appearance or comments. But sometimes the clues aren’t so apparent, so it’s important to take additional steps to ascertain that an HVAC technician can be trusted.
Do the following to maximize your chances of receiving quality customer service:
- The technician should arrive on time and look and behave professionally. Check to see if the technician is certified by North American Technician Excellence (NATE), an organization that guarantees member technicians have training and experience in general and specific HVAC areas of expertise. Ask to see other credentials and endorsements that reflect experience and community involvement.
- Be wary if the technician provides an estimate for an installation or major repair by phone. They should come to your home and inspect your system and/or needs.
- The HVAC technician should discuss the problem or issue with your heating or cooling system at length. They should ask about your family’s usage habits, and take a look at electricity and/or gas bills dating back two years or more.
- When the service call is drawing to an end, the technician should clearly diagnose the problem, along with what the repair will involve in time and money.
- If you’re getting a heating or cooling system replacement, the HVAC technician should outline your options regarding size, energy efficiency and available features. Be skeptical if they recommend either the most expensive or least expensive system.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).