It’s been hotter than ever this year inSouth Texas. This is no time to be without effective cooling equipment. If yours needs replacing, asking the right questions can help you make decisions that will keep you comfortable for years to come.
The kind of house you live in and the kind of cooling equipment currently in use will determine what replacement options make the most sense for you, in terms of how the new system works and also its visual effect on your living space.
Think about overall energy efficiency. If other aspects of your home are energy-efficient, your cooling equipment will work best.
- Windows and doors
- Day-lighting and/or shading from outdoors
- Natural ventilation, augmented with fans if needed.
Should you get a newer version of your current system?
- New equipment can save as much as 60 percent over your existing system, especially if it’s more than a decade old.
- How efficient is your current system?
- Any system needs to be properly sized. Load calculations and an energy analysis can help determine exactly what you need without going overboard.
If you’re adding air conditioning, should it be central or per room?
- Adding ductwork can be difficult and costly.
- Ask about new mini-duct systems that use plastic tubing instead of traditional sheet metal ductwork.
- Ductless mini-split air conditioners or heat pumps may be a good alternative.
- If you already have working ductwork, then a central system probably makes the most sense.
- Adding air-conditioning versus replacing your entire heating and cooling system
- Initial investment for cooling equipment and related accessories (thermostats, etc.)
- Future upkeep and preventive maintenance
- Costs of operation – energy savings will help offset investment costs and continue saving you money after your investment is paid off
- Projected lifespan and warranty
You need professional help to select the right cooling equipment. You know your house and what you need to stay comfortable. Now that you also know what questions to ask, you’re ready to contact us at Beyer Boys. Our professional experts can help you make the right choice, at the right price. It may be hot here, but we’ll help you stay cool in your home.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Beyer Boys services San Antonio, TX. To get started see our special offers.