Smart thermostats have revolutionized the way we control the heating and cooling in our homes, but like any electronic gadget, they have their issues. Each model is different, and may be subject to certain design and operation limitations, so it pays to consult with your HVAC company before you choose a smart thermostat. It’s also a good idea to hire an HVAC technician to install your thermostat, so that you can be assured it will work right.
Here are some smart thermostat issues to watch out for.
1. No C-wire. The C-wire, or common wire, is necessary for installation of some smart thermostats. Ordinarily, these thermostats charge their built-in batteries using your home’s wiring. This can cause problems, however, as the thermostat draws power, and your HVAC system may start to short cycle. If you have a C-wire to deliver a continuous source of power, the problem will be eliminated.
2. No power. Always check batteries, power switch, fuse or circuit breaker.
3. Loss of internet connection. You should check and possibly reset or restart the modem and router, or ask the internet service provider about service problems in your area. You can control the heating and cooling directly, without the internet, through the display. You may also need to restart your thermostat.
4. Learning problems. Learning models use data to determine when and how much heating and cooling to send. A sensor monitors your movements by noting how often you walk by the thermostat. The thermostat “learns” you’re not home at certain times when you don’t walk by the thermostat, which may not be true.
5. Connectivity issues. Some models may disconnect from the internet without notifying you, so you will not know if there’s a power issue in the home you might need to attend to.
6. Temperature display. Some models display the target temperature rather than the room temperature — which is what most homeowners would like to know when they are setting the thermostat.
To learn more about common smart thermostat issues and which model might be best for you, contact Beyer Boys, serving greater San Antonio.