Daily Tips for Optimal Home Comfort
San Antonio weather is difficult to predict. If February brings a deep freeze or an early spring breeze, you want your home to be comfortable. As the weather changes, your home comfort efforts should not. Following are tips that will help keep your home comfortable this February and year-round.
Indoor Air Quality
A stuffy home isn’t very comfortable at all. If your home is well winterized, then dust, germs and other contaminants may become trapped. You need a good indoor air quality strategy to complement your energy-saving efforts.
- Air cleaners: Whole-home air cleaners purify indoor air using a combination of devices targeting different types of pollutants. A good whole-home air cleaner should use a pre-filter, a HEPA filter, electrostatic field and/or UV lights.
- HRV: HRVs (heat recovery ventilators) are whole-home ventilation systems that utilize a heat exchange box to maximize energy efficiency and comfort.
- HVAC filter: Choose a day to check your HVAC filter to make sure it isn’t clogged up.
- Cleaning: Clean comforters, pillows, upholstery and drapes to minimize allergens.
Window coverings offer a convenient way to quickly block or allow heat gain/loss into rooms. Be mindful to adjust layered drapes, shutters and blinds as needed to let the sun shine in or keep cold temperatures at bay.
Drafty Rooms? Seal Them Up!
Air leaks around windows and doors and through wall materials can make rooms drafty.
- Windows: Seal up leaky windowsills with removable rope caulk. Plastic v-strips help form a tight seal at sashes.
- Doors: Door sweeps and silicon tubing can seal up air leaks around exterior door frames.
- Walls: Penetrations from pipes and wiring allow air infiltration. Use a can of expanding spray foam to seal larger holes.
Have you checked your air vents and grilles recently? Wipe away dust and dirt at vents and grilles to promote even airflow in your home. If you hear rattling noises from the vents, you may have loose ducts. Seal duct leaks using metal duct tape.
For more information about these home comfort tips or HVAC service and maintenance questions, contact us at Beyer Boys today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).