Whether or not you’re planning on having guests over to your home for Christmas, it is essential that you take the time to concentrate on your household’s HVAC needs. And since we’re talking about the Christmas holiday, we thought it would be fun to take a look at 12 days of HVAC tips.
1. Tune Up Your HVAC System. Call a qualified technician and have him or her check out your system and give it a tuneup.
2. Install a Programmable Thermostat. Upgrading your current thermostat to a programmable or smart model will give you more control over your heating needs.
3. Change Your Air Filter. The filter should be checked periodically and then cleaned or replaced every one to three months.
4. Check for Proper Insulation. If you discover that you don’t have enough insulation in certain areas of your home, either add some yourself or call a professional.
5. Install Energy Star Equipment. If you plan to replace your current heating equipment, make sure that you look for the Energy Star label.
6. Insulate Exposed Pipes. To avoid water and to keep exposed pipes from freezing, add insulation sleeves around them.
7. Clean Up Your Outdoor Unit. Clean off any dirt or debris that has covered your unit in the past few months.
8. Install a Zoning System. By splitting your home into different zones, you will gain more control over your winter heating needs.
9. Check Your Smoke Alarms. Checking your smoke alarms at the start of the winter season will help keep your family safe from harm.
10. Check Your CO Detectors. Now that you’ll be using your heating equipment again, make sure that your carbon monoxide detectors are working.
11. Clean Your Chimney. If you or your family are planning to use the chimney, give it a thorough cleaning.
12. Check Vents for Obstructions. To achieve good airflow, remove any boxes or other obstructions that are blocking your vents.
If you adhere to these 12 HVAC tips, you and your guests will be comfortable over the holiday. For more professional assistance, please contact the experts at Beyer Boys. We’ve been assisting the community of San Antonio and the surrounding areas since 1990.